Thursday, October 26, 2017

A very sexy Halloween

With Halloween just around the corner, it is almost impossible to ignore the advertisements for costumes from Party City, Walmart, and other outlets. Even more high-end stores like Burlington get in on the action. The costume industry big business for children and adults alike but one thing I notice every year is the very big difference between male costumes and women's costumes.



It is practically impossible to go shopping either online or in store and not see some sexy version of a Halloween costume, and it is slightly ridiculous. Even ignoring people who are dressing up as a specific character from the specific television show that they may enjoy, there are also such sexafied costumes as sexy flight attendant, sexy vampire, sexy nurse, sexy schoolgirl, sexy candy bar, and my personal favorite sexy Chinese takeout box.

I guess that my real problem with the sexy Halloween costume is that 99% of the costumes that I see online are geared towards women. Well I may sometimes see a sexy version for a Male costume most of the time they aren't on the website or in stores, and even if they are on the website I very rarely if ever see a man actually dressed ‘Sexy’ on Halloween. Additionally, sexy male costumes can be presented in different ways. Take the below picture. I know what the hose represents and so do you. But compared to sexy female firefighter, it’s barely anything to protest about.

I don't have any problem with the people who want to be sexy on Halloween, you do you. But when my only options are to either bare more than I personally feel comfortable with or piece together my own costume, there is an issue. This year, I’m handing out candy as a poodle girl. The costume is my mom's from when she was my age, and it is the third time I will borrow it. Whatever your plans are, when you're looking for your costume pay attention to the other gender and have a happy Halloween.

6 comments:

  1. It's all a weird contradiction, sexy is usually revealing, in the late fall when it gets cold at night. Your out trying to hook up in a cultural time where the biggest focus is children going door to door for sweets to be handed out. You'd be looking out for yourself to find a date at the most conservative possibility of your focused on that going into a party, instead of having a good time in unusual sets of clothing, at a spooky time of the year.

    If anything trying to focus on the 'sexy' outlook at such a time of year invites disappointment at the least, and becoming the target of sickness at worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also noticed that the mere fact that this idea of being sexy is so normalized in our society, many people argue against these opinions of why sexy costumes towards women are concerning to some people. For example, I've seen someone argue by saying, "Yes, I will look slutty and sexy for Halloween, at least I'm not your boring ass!" I've seen more similar comments as so and they are all said by women. I understand that the women that are saying this are just trying to let people know that they are free to do what they want. I have no judgement to this because anyone can do what they want but the fact that it is presenting the sexual objectification of women is what I am concerned about, just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly the reason I don't typically bother getting upset about sexy costumes anymore is because I think Halloween is actually a holiday where a lot of people just want to get drunk and have sex with someone they meet at a party. It makes sense to dress sexy to get sex. And it's kind of the same as New Years: even though it's January, girls pay a lot of attention to how they look and usually wear dresses that couldn't possibly keep them warm at a house party or a bar. It's part of American culture to just go wild when we drink. The thing that does bother me, however, is how women are the only ones that typically dress sexy. Of course I'm not telling men to dress sexier, rather I'm pointing out how women are the only ones expected to dress revealingly to get Halloween sex. To the victor belong the spoils, and therefore, only the most attractive women end up hooking up, so outfits are getting more and more revealing each year. Where is it going to stop? The idea that women have to keep outdoing each other to have a "good time" is what bothers me, but it seems that is what we are going to get when we live in a sex obsessed culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah sexy costumes and explictly trying to be sexy seems to be the only option out there for women its not entirely about the costumes either just whatever it is make it sexy. I cant count the number of halloweens I have felt bad for the group of girls freezing walking from party to party because they had to be sexy and scantily clad on halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a really important discussion to have. Especially with what we discussed in class today, are the purposes of these "sexy" costumes really to feel empowered? Or are they to self-objectify oneself? Is the presumed self-empowerment really worth making ourselves an object in men's eyes? Who really benefits here?

    Your blog post also reminded me of the rather recent controversy over the "Sexy" Eleven costume. That's right, Eleven from Stranger Things, a CHILD, has been made into a sexy costume.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/stranger-things-halloween-costume-eleven-upside-down-honey-costume-a8024811.html

    How is this okay? How did anyone think this would be okay?

    I also did a quick google search to find a Huffpo article I remember seeing a few years back, which featured some of the dumbest "sexy" costumes I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. There are so many costumes that are based off of children's television programs, and it really concerns me. I think it's important to ask why a "sexy minion" or "sexy sesame street" costume would be enticing for anyone to wear, and for anyone to be sexualizing OR feel sexual arousal towards.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/21/sexy-halloween-nonsense_n_6016748.html

    Obviously, adults deserve to enjoy Halloween as much as the kids, but I don't think this is the healthiest way. AND it's trickling down into kids costumes, so I don't think the argument that it's a just holiday for people to get drunk and hook up is an acceptable excuse. This "sexy" trend is encouraging companies to keep pushing the limits and showing kids (and teens) what Halloween "should" be like once they're older. In a society where kids are "growing up" faster and faster, I think we should be concerned about the behaviour we adults are engaging in and cultivating.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/sexy-halloween-costumes-for-girls_n_2011943.html?slideshow=true#gallery/256044/24

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly the sexy costumes get old after awhile. When you go to a party and see 8 cats and 9 bunnies its like okay ladies time to get creative. This past Halloween I was completely against my friends and myself dressing up and something sexy. Needless to say it didn't work. Its simply convenient, just about every female costume they sale is sexy. Men can be dressed as people with authority like police officers, presidents and doctors but women are supposed to dress and sexy animals? This attitude puts women in such a small box.

    ReplyDelete